Despite the rainy conditions, the Ravens practiced outdoors today, which meant for a little slipping and sliding for some players and a wet notebook for me.
I'll flip open that notebook, however, and pass along some thoughts from today's session:
- Head coach John Harbaugh said that cornerback Lardarius Webb is "ahead of schedule significantly" in his rehab from a torn ACL. Webb spent the latter portion of practice doing individual drills on a side field, backpedaling quickly and making sudden cuts.
He looked smooth in his movements, and Harbaugh had glowing things to say about the Nicholls State product. "He's been here every single day -- holidays, weekends," Harbaugh said. "He's been doing beyond what you'd expect a guy to do to get back. He's done a great job."
Wide receiver Marcus Smith and running back Matt Lawrence (both of whom are also rehabbing from knee injuries) did not practice with the team but also did individual running off to the side.
- Although it was considered a passing camp, there was a pretty good turnout at the voluntary session, with the majority of the roster showing up and participating this morning.
There were a handful of veterans who were absent, however: linebacker Ray Lewis, linebacker Terrell Suggs, running back Willis McGahee, wide receiver Derrick Mason and defensive end Trevor Pryce all were not at practice. Defensive end Paul Kruger, the 2009 second-round pick, also was absent today.
- Rookie tight end Dennis Pitta had another impressive day today, making a handful of tough catches over the middle. He also caught a bullet of a pass in the end zone from fellow BYU alum John Beck, falling to the ground to bring in the TD reception. Pitta and Ed Dickson, the Ravens' other rookie tight end, both have looked very sharp so far.
- Demetrius Williams backed up a nice opening minicamp with another good session today. He did have the ball stripped from his hands after one reception, however, which prompted a mini dogpile of players diving for the ball and shouts of "That's a hundred dollars!" from the sideline. No word onif Williams will actually be docked the hundred bucks.
- Billy Cundiff was 5-of-7 on field goal attempts today, missing from 50 and hitting the right upright from 41. Cundiff was good from 31, 35, 43, 50 and 51.
- Anquan Boldin made a really slick one-handed grab on a crossing route, picking a Joe Flacco pass out of the air with just his right hand. The catch drew some "ooh's" and "ahh's" from the players and assembled media.
- Rookie linebacker Sergio Kindle continues to get reps with the first-team defense with Jarret Johnson recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Johnson has been taking part in limited team workouts, but Kindle has gotten the bulk of the reps so far in minicamps.