With two outs in the top of the ninth, Daniel Descalso and Pete Kozma delivered back-to-back RBI singles and ending the Nationals' magical season. One day after earning the Game 4 win, Drew Storen served up four runs in the ninth to allow the Cardinals beat the Nationals in the most heartbreaking way possible, to win the National Legaue Division Series. St. Louis will now face San Francisco in the National League Championship Series.
Here's a roundup of what other media outlets are saying about Game 5 of the NLDS between the Nationals and Cardinals.
* Thomas Boswell of The Washington Post says the Nationals' playoff experience was a "bitter pill to swallow".
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the Cardinals have a never say die attitude and they proved it last night.
* David Schoenfield of ESPN's The SweetSpot blog says one-game elimination baseball games are one of the most cruel aspects of sports in his roundup of Friday's game.
* Tracy Ringolsby of MLB.com says despite Friday's devastating loss, the Nationals will bounce back due to their young core.
* Adam Berry of MLB.com says the Nationals exceeded everybody's expectations in 2012.
* Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says the Cardinals always believe they can win, even after being down 6-0 to the Nationals.
* Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says every member of the Cardinals has a sense of resiliency.
* Thom Loverro of The Washington Examiner says the Nationals had a rude introduction to the postseason.
* Dan Daly of the Washington Times says the Nationals have inflicted a new form of pain on long-suffering D.C. sports fans.
* Deron Snyder of The Washington Times says this last week has served as a learning experience for sports fans in D.C. and has served as a growing process.