Longtime Ravens tackle Jonathan Ogden and former owner Art Modell were named finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Friday morning.
Ogden was one of four first-year eligible nominees - along with Larry Allen, Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan - still alive to join the Hall when the list of 27 modern-era semifinalists was whittled down to 15 finalists.
This year’s class will be selected by the selection committee in New Orleans, La., on Feb. 2. To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum of 80 percent of the vote.
Ogden, a 6-foot-9, 345-lb.left tackle, played all 12 of his NFL seasons with the Ravens (1996-2007). Chosen fourth overall in 1996, he was the first player taken in the draft by the team after it moved to Baltimore from Cleveland.
The Outland Trophy Award winner as the top lineman in college, Ogden earned a starting job right away and went on to claim All-Rookie honors. He was known as a strong pass protector and effective run blocker on the way to being a six-time All-Pro and 11-time Pro Bowler.
He was a part of the Ravens’ lone Super Bowl-winning team and was selected to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 2000s.
Modell, who passed away at 87 on Sept. 6, 2012, spent 43 seasons as an NFL owner and brought the Ravens to Baltimore in 1996. He had owned the Browns since 1961.
Under his watch, the Browns won an NFL championship in 1964 and finished as runner-up in 1965, 1968 and 1969. The Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV and appeared in three AFC championship games during his tenure before he sold a majority stake in ownership in 2004.
Modell also served as NFL president from 1967-69 and was integral in facilitating realignment after the AFL-NFL merger. He also played a major role in developing the league’s television brand, including helping to establish Monday Night Football as an institution.
Here are the other 15 finalists (13 modern-era and two senior nominees):
* Larry Allen - Guard/tackle - 1994-2005 Dallas Cowboys; 2006-07 San Francisco 49ers
* Jerome Bettis - Running back - 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams; 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
* Tim Brown - Wide receiver/kick returner/punt returner - 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders; 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
* Cris Carter - Wide receiver - 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles; 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings; 2002 Miami Dolphins
* Curley Culp* - 1968-1974 Kansas City Chiefs; 1974-1980 Houston Oilers; 1980-81 Detroit Lions
* Edward DeBartolo, Jr. - Owner - 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
* Kevin Greene - Linebacker/defensive end - 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams; 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers; 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers; 1997 San Francisco 49ers
* Charles Haley - Defensive end/linebacker - 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers; 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
* Bill Parcells - Coach - 1983-1990 New York Giants; 1993-96 New England Patriots; 1997-99 New York Jets; 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys
* Andre Reed - Wide receiver - 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills; 2000 Washington Redskins
* Dave Robinson* - 1963-1972 Green Bay Packers; 1973-74 Washington Redskins
* Warren Sapp - Defensive Tackle - 1995-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers; 2004-07 Oakland Raiders
* Will Shields - Guard - 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
* Michael Strahan - Defensive end - 1993-2007 New York Giants
* Aeneas Williams - Cornerback/safety - 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals; 2001-04 St. Louis Rams