Lee Evans out for Sunday vs. Jets; hopes to return following bye

Ravens wide receiver Lee Evans will miss Sunday's game against the Jets because of an ankle injury, marking his second straight game on the sidelines.

The Ravens are hoping that will be the extent of Evans' absence.

Head coach John Harbaugh said today that Evans will not play Sunday, and expressed some concern that the receiver's ankle injury has still not fully healed.

"I'm worried about it now because it's lasted longer than I thought it would," Harbaugh said. "I'm sure he'll have another MRI to see where it's at, but as a coach, sure, you start thinking, 'What's the deal?' We'll just have to see where it goes. I'm planning on him being back for the Houston game (after the bye), but we'll just have to see."

Evans said that he did have another MRI, which confirmed that the ankle is not fractured. The wide receiver says there's just some stress in the muscle and bone high in the ankle which is still causing him difficulty.

The eight-year veteran estimated that he's about 80 percent healthy at this point, and said he hopes to play against the Texans in two weeks, following the Ravens' bye.

"Nothing's certain in this world, but it has a much higher probability of happening now than it did before," Evans said. "I'm feeling good about what we've done so far, so I'm shooting for the Texans, no doubt.

"It's making a lot of progress now, so I think that's what we're looking at. Yeah, it took a little longer than we thought, but it's making good progress right now. So, this bye is coming at the right time. We'll use that, and then move through the rest of the season."

Meanwhile, Harbaugh said that left guard Ben Grubbs, who has missed the last two games with a toe injury, is a gametime decision for Sunday. Grubbs was limited in practice yesterday, and then took things a little easier today.

"He didn't do much today," Harbaugh said. "I think we're more concerned with the toe healing than we are with the reps. It's going to be a game-time decision. We'll put him out there and let him play if he can. It's been three weeks with the toe. He's got a pretty good chance, but you just can't control that stuff obviously."

blog comments powered by Disqus