While sifting through the Orioles’ post-season media guide, I came across a few numbers that jumped off the pages.
As if I needed this place to become more cluttered.
* Nick Markakis batted .211 with five extra-base hits in his last 28 games; he hit .405 in nine games against the White Sox, and .324 with 30 RBIs in 36 games against the Red Sox and Yankees; he batted .337 in 64 wins and .260 in 97 losses.
* Nolan Reimold batted .312 against the AL East.
* Matt Wieters batted .327 against the AL East, including .455 in 12 games against the Red Sox and .405 in 10 games against the Rays.
* Adam Jones batted .369 in 32 day games; he hit .310 when batting first or second, and .191 when batting third, fourth or fifth.
* Cesar Izturis batted .335 in 46 wins and .199 in 68 losses.
* Jim Johnson tossed 11 2/3 scoreless innings in eight interleague games.
* David Hernandez held opponents to a .184 average with runners in scoring position.
* Opponents were 1-for-12 with the bases loaded against Mark Hendrickson.
* Alberto Castillo allowed just one of 17 inherited runners to score; opponents batted .176 against him on the road, but .346 at Camden Yards.
* Michael Aubrey batted .315 at night and .176 during the day.
* Robert Andino batted .269 at home and .181 on the road.
* Right-handers batted .273 against Matt Albers, compared to .342 by left-handers; he posted a 0.84 ERA in nine interleague games; he registed a 1.42 ERA in five games against the Yankees, and a 5.56 ERA against the rest of the AL East.
I’m just saying...
That international scouting keeps paying dividends for the Orioles. Baseball American’s Matt Eddy confirmed that they signed 19-year-old Australian left-hander Chris Lamb.
Here’s the story from Gold Coast that a reader linked for us yesterday, in case you missed it in the comments section.
Eddy also passed along that the Orioles released pitchers Jason Hallerman, Shane Mathews and Scott Mueller, catcher Edinho Meyer, first baseman Tom Edwards and outfielders Arthur Bonevacia, Jose Kianes and Jason Rook.
Nothing earth-shattering here - unless you’re the player being cut.
Mathews was an eighth-round pick in the 2007 draft out of East Carolina. Rook was a 12th-round pick in the 2008 draft out of Appalachian State. Mueller was taken in the 21st round in 2007 out of Arizona State, and Edwards in the 28th round in 2008 out of Rutgers.
Reliever Greg Aquino signed a minor league deal with the White Sox. Infielder Nate Spears signed with the Red Sox. Infielder Donnie Murphy signed with the Marlins. Infielder Melvin Dorta signed with the Phillies. Pitcher David Pauley signed with the Mariners. Outfielder Joey Gathright signed with the Blue Jays. And pitcher Bruce Chen re-signed with the Royals.