Waiting for Arrieta to decide

When we last left Jake Arrieta, he was prepared to undergo surgery tomorrow to have a bone spur removed from his right elbow. Now he’s getting a second opinion from orthopedic specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum.

Arrieta told reporters in Boston yesterday that he’s leaning toward not having the procedure, though it’s relatively simple in nature and gives him plenty of time to recover.

I don’t get it.

Yocum will take a look at the MRI results and offer his opinion, which usually carries a lot of weight. President of baseball operations Andy MacPhail spoke to Yocum earlier today.

“Right now, it’s a process where Dr. Yocum will look at the films and make a determination. We’re just waiting to go through the process,” MacPhail said.

“It’s prudent to get as much information as possible. I wouldn’t close the door on whether he should or should not have the surgery.”

It’s not my elbow, but I say have the surgery. Arrieta conceded that the spur limits his flexibility and causes some post-start tightness, though it doesn’t affect his pitching.

blog comments powered by Disqus