Following up on a tweet from yesterday, I was told that Brooks Robinson remains hospitalized in Hollywood Fla., after falling off a stage Friday night and sustaining two fractures in his rear shoulder area, including a broken clavicle.
Robinson is resting comfortably. Well, as comfortably as you can rest with two fractures.
Here’s another look at the Orioles’ spring training invites:
Pitchers: Armando Galarraga, Pat Neshek, Ryan Edell, Dennys Reyes, Willie Eyre, Steve Johnson, Jon Link, Miguel Socolovich and Oscar Villarreal.
Catchers: Ronny Paulino, John Hester and Brian Ward.
Infielder: Steve Tolleson.
Outfielder: Scott Beerer.
One notable omission is catcher Caleb Joseph, who’s been invited the past two springs. The Orioles really like Ward’s work behind the plate and want to take a closer look at him. He threw out 52.6 percent of runners attempting to steal last season with Single-A Frederick. Manager Buck Showalter brought up his name a few times last summer. And the Orioles must feel like five catchers in camp are enough, including Matt Wieters and Taylor Teagarden.
Paulino is an interesting signing. He used to be a starter with the Pirates, but he looks like minor league depth to me - and insurance in case Wieters or Teagarden is injured.
The Orioles traded for Teagarden. He’s on this club as the backup unless he’s hurt.
Then again, don’t let me talk you out of picking him as your dark horse. You know my track record, and it’s not good. #hennessey
The idea is to choose a player who you believe will beat the odds and make the 25-man roster out of spring training. Think outside the box. Think way outside of it. And it can be someone on the 40-man roster. You’re not restricted to spring invites.
I can’t remember who I picked last spring. One of The Sun writers chose Mitch Atkins, and the right-hander never got in a game because of an oblique injury.
UPDATE: I’ve been reminded that I picked reliever David Riske, and he got off to a pretty good start in camp before faltering. He declined an assignment to Triple-A Norfolk and disappeared.
We should keep in mind that executive vice president Dan Duquette isn’t done bringing in players. You could choose someone off the 40-man, and he could be removed from it to make room for a new addition. If that happens, you can make another selection. I’m flexible with the rules.
I’ll need a little more time, but feel free to go ahead of me.
Also, I mentioned a few days ago that Fred Ferreira, the Orioles’ executive director of international recruiting, is going to scout Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes this week. Ferreira will have to settle for watching Cespedes work out, since Aguilas lost to Escogido in the decisive Game 9 of the Dominican Winter League championship. Cespedes would have played in the Caribbean Series.
Ferreria will arrive Wednesday and arrange to take another look at Cespedes following last month’s private workout in the Dominican Republic. Cespedes reportedly will come to the U.S. within the next two weeks and start meeting with teams.
As a reminder, here’s what Ferreira said about that workout when I interviewed him last week:
“Watching him work out and in batting practice, he showed ability. There’s no question he has tools. He has a good bat. We couldn’t see him run because the grounds were wet, so we didn’t see him in the 60-yard dash or anything like that.”
The Orioles haven’t determined whether Cespedes is ready for the majors or if he’ll need time in Double-A or Triple-A.
“Everybody has a different opinion,” Ferreira said. “I guess it depends on what day you see him and what he shows you. You’ll hear opinions, and sometimes it’s not the right one.
“I want to see more of him, to be honest with you. We’re talking about a player who might be an expensive one, and you have to be a little more thorough with your evaluation and get as many opinions as you can.”
Ferreira also will get his first look at 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, who won’t cost as much as Cespedes.