Markakis is scheduled to serve as the designated hitter on March 14, his first game action since undergoing surgery in January to repair a torn abdominal muscle.
Markakis has been taking batting practice, gradually increasing the intensity of his swings, and shagging fly balls in the outfield. The sprints yesterday gave manager Buck Showalter the confidence to put Markakis in the lineup in six days.
In other news:
* Tsuyoshi Wada will throw his next bullpen session on Friday.
* The Orioles will play an eight-inning B game on Sunday, which will feature Tommy Hunter, Zach Britton, Jim Johnson, Willie Eyre and Dylan Bundy. Hunter will go three innings, but Britton will be limited to one.
* Catcher Michael Ohlman had an MRI on his injured right shoulder yesterday and he's contemplating his options, according to Showalter. Olhman won't be available for the rest of camp. Ohlman's truck flipped over Tuesday after a driver cut him off.
* Nick Johnson will start at first base on Friday. Showalter wanted him in the lineup today, but the Braves are starting a left-hander. Showalter decided to give Wilson Betemit some at-bats from the right side.
* Matt Wieters will take Friday off after starting back-to-back games.