Still no word on whether the Orioles will make a roster move today and bring up a fresh arm for their bullpen.
I found it interesting that manager Buck Showalter mentioned Brian Matusz’s impressive start at Triple-A Norfolk last night after I asked about the possibility of adding a reliever. Showalter might have been jumping topics, as he often does. It was the last sentence uttered before he left the interview room and returned to his office. The only other explanation is that the team has discussed sending down Miguel Gonzalez to make room for a reliever, and Matusz could take the right-hander’s scheduled turn in the rotation four days from now as a second roster move.
A few notes from last night:
* Matt Wieters went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts last night and is 1-for-26 in his last seven games. His career success against David Price didn’t add up to much last night.
* The Orioles hit four batters last night, which hadn’t happened since June 19, 2003 against the Blue Jays.
* Matt Lindstrom tied his career high with three walks over 2 1/3 innings. He was forced into a long relief role of sorts, so he also gets a free pass (See what I did there?)
* The Orioles have scored four runs or fewer in eight of their last nine games and 13 of 16.
* The Orioles struck out 13 times, marking the 35th game in which they’ve recorded a double-digit strikeout total, most in the American League
* Chris Tillman is making his first home start of 2012. He’s 4-6 with a 5.28 ERA and seven quality starts in 17 career outings at Camden Yards. He’s 0-2 with a 5.06 ERA in five career starts against the Rays, but the Orioles are 3-2.
* Tillman has another opportunity today to win back-to-back decisions for the first time in his career.
* Adam Jones is 12-for-34 (.353) with five doubles, a triple, a home run and four RBIs lifetime against James Shields, who starts today for the Rays. Jim Thome is 8-for-24 with a home run. Wieters is 5-for-19 with two doubles, two homers and five RBIs.
Update: The Orioles will make a roster move. An announcement is pending.