Here are a couple of notes and stats coming out of today’s Orioles win in Toronto while we await the Nats series and the latest O’s MRI and injury news, this one involving pitcher Jeremy Guthrie.
* The Orioles struggled to hit with runners in scoring position in Toronto, going 1-for-10 today and 3-for-27 in the series. The Orioles are just 5-for-40 (.125) with RISP the last five games.
* After being held to just four hits Wednesday night, the Orioles picked up 10 today. It’s the fifth time in six games they have double-digit hits. They’ve scored 28 runs in those six games.
* J.J. Hardy’s homer today was his fifth in his last 13 games and his seventh on the year. That is one more than he had in 340 at bats last year. Hardy now has seven homers in 144 at bats. Orioles’ shortstops combined to hit just seven homers from 2008-2010 and Hardy has matched that in his first 39 O’s games.
* After a run of good pitching by the bullpen, the Orioles’ relievers have now been scored on in five straight games. The ‘pen has given up 11 earned runs over 22 2/3 for an ERA of 4.37 in that stretch.
*With three hits today, Vlad Guerrero ended a 20-game stretch without a multi-hit game since his two-hit game on May 21 vs. Washington. Guerrero had an RBI double in the sixth and that was just his fourth extra-base hit over the last 25 games.
Updating hitting streaks:
J.J. Hardy: Is 15-38 (.395) during nine-game batting streak.
Nick Markakis: Is 11-for-31 (.355) during seven-game batting streak.
Luke Scott: Is 7-for-13 (.538) during four-game streak.
*Robert Andino is 3-for-20 over his past six games.
*Nolan Reimold is 0-for-13.
*Derrek Lee is 4-for-31 in eight games since coming off the DL.
*Adam Jones went 0-for-12 in Toronto and is 5-for-29 over his past seven games.
* The Orioles are now 11-17 in road games on the year. This was just their second win in the last ten on the road and fifth win in the last 17 away from Baltimore.
* The Orioles improved to 31-35 overall, 10-18 against the AL East, 2-4 against Toronto, 9-14 in series finales and 7-6 in June.
Pitching probables in Washington:
Friday at 7:05 p.m. - Zach Britton (6-4, 3.18) vs. Jason Marquis (7-2, 3.67)
Saturday at 1:05 p.m.- Brian Matusz (1-1, 5.11) vs. Jordan Zimmerman (4-6, 3.10)
Sunday at 1:35 p.m. - Chris Jakubauskas (1-0, 5.09) vs. Tom Gorzelanny (2-4, 4.25)