For the Orioles, the second half has started like the first half ended, with a starter having issues and the club falling behind early in a game. Some notes as they try to dig out of a 3-0 hole against Cleveland here tonight and snap a seven-game slide.
* The current Indians roster had a total of just one homer versus Jeremy Guthrie coming into this game, then Asdrubal Cabrera and Carlos Santana homered in a span of three batters in the opening inning as Cleveland took a 3-0 lead. Cabrera was 1-for-9 and Santana 0-for-2 previously against Guthrie.
* The Orioles have been outscored more in the first inning than any inning this year. Cleveland took a 3-0 edge in the first tonight and the O's have now been outscored 57-27 in the first on the season.
* The Indians swept a three-game series from the Orioles in April by a combined 20-7 score. The Tribe has won four in a row and six of its last eight against Baltimore.
* Since May 24, Cleveland is 17-27 and has lost 7 1/2 games in the division standings, as they held a seven-game first place lead then, but now are 1/2 game back of Detroit.
* The Orioles' 49 homers since June 1 lead the majors. The Orioles are on pace to hit 179 homers, which would be their most since 2005 when they hit 189.
* The Orioles have been outscored 62-24 during their seven-game losing streak and they have lost eight of their past nine series and four in a row.