First of all, on this joyous weekend, a merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of the loyal readers. I never take you for granted and am always appreciative that you are here, today and every day.
Since most are feeling happy and festive this time of year, I figured it was a good time to get your thoughts about baseball and the Orioles.
What makes you feel happy about the game and the team? What do you enjoy about Orioles baseball?
Sure, there has been that little 14-year losing streak, but we have all year to dwell on that. Maybe we can take at least a day or two to think happy thoughts and reflect on what we like about the game and/or the team.
Here is a partial list from me:
* Opening day at Camden Yards.
* Watching Red Sox and Yankees fans leave the Yard after a loss for their team.
* Orioles walk-off celebrations like the one that ended last year.
* Eutaw Street.
* Hearing Jeremy Guthrie take a toungue-in-cheek shot at the Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec after one of his outings. Despite my best efforts, Guthrie was always a Zrebiec-first fan. Now that he is on the Ravens beat (Zrebiec, not Guthrie), he’ll be missed next year at the Yard.
* Interviewing a young player after his first key hit or before the game when he just got called up. Seeing that look in their eyes never gets old.
* Having Koji Uehara rub my stomach. That was the international sign for me to lose weight. I know Koji, I know. Maybe he will pass that on to Tsuyoshi Wada for the 2012 season.
* Having Andy MacPhail call me “kid.” Guess that won’t happen anymore.
* Setting up my computer each day in the press box, looking out at the field and realizing this is a pretty nice office.
What about you? What gives you joy about the game and/or the Yard or the Orioles?