The Orioles' scouting staff and scouting director Gary Rajsich have been very busy lately. Not only did the club draft 40 players last week but the team has already come to contract terms with over 20 players, MASNsports.com has learned.
The team has only officially announced the signings of six players but that is just because they wait until the contracts have been approved by Major League Baseball to officially announce the names. Many more have agreed and it's just a matter of time until the Orioles officially announce that.
The Orioles are in the very early or beginning stages of talks with their top pick, LSU pitcher Kevin Gausman, and second-rounder Branden Kline, a pitcher from the University of Virginia.
The team is further along in talks with fifth-round pick, high school pitcher Colin Poche from Flower Mound, Texas.
There are three O's draft picks that will be playing in the College World Series and since their seasons are not yet over, the club cannot yet talk contract with them. They are first baseman Christian Walker (fourth round) and pitcher Matt Price (seventh round) from the University of South Carolina, and right-handed pitcher Derrick Bleeker (37th round) from the University of Arkansas.
The Orioles hope that most, if not all of the players that have come to contact terms will soon be playing for affiliates and many of them will go to short-season Single-A Aberdeen and the rookie-level Gulf Coast League when those clubs begin their seasons on Monday.
Here is a list of 14 players I can confirm that have agreed to terms with the Orioles. The six players listed in bold have been officially announced as signed by the club:
* Round 3 - High school SS Adrian Marin
* Round 6 - Samford LHP Lex Rutledge
* Round 8 - Michigan State OF Torsten Boss
* Round 9 - Grand Canyon University RHP Brady Wager
* Round 10 - Dallas Baptist SS Joel Hutter
* Round 14 - High school RHP Sean McAdams
* Round 18 - Stetson catcher Sam Kimmel
* Round 19 - High school LHP Josh Hader
* Round 23 - Fresno State RHP Gene Escat
* Round 24 - Washington State IF Tommy Richards
* Round 25 - Auburn IF Creede Simpson
* Round 27 - University of Tampa SS Anthony Caronia
* Round 30 - Manhatten College OF Anthony Vega
* Round 35 - LHP Charles Porter
Boss, Hutter, Simpson, Kimmel and Escat are draft picks that have already reported to Aberdeen to begin workouts in advance of the IronBirds season opener.