A couple of notes as the Orioles lead the Kansas City Royals 2-1 in the fifth inning tonight:
* After starting the year 3-0 against Kansas City in the season series, Baltimore has lost their last three games against the Royals. The O's have won the season series in six of the last eight seasons.
* Coming into tonight's game, catcher Matt Wieters was 7-for-14 over his past three games with three doubles, three homers and eight RBIs. Over his past 11 games, Wieters is batting .333 with four homers and 12 RBIs.
* Last night, Manny Machado became the fourth Oriole to triple in his major league debut. The others are Bernie Castro (9-1-05), Marv Breeding (4-19-60) and Barry Shetrone (7-27-59). The last Oriole to triple for his first major league hit was Blake Davis on June 24, 2011 against Cincinnati.
I thought I remembered that Wieters tripled in his first big league game, but he actually went 0-for-4 in his debut on May 29, 2009 vs. Detroit. The next night he had a double and a triple.
* On the first four games of this homestand, Nick Markakis went 8-for-18 with two homers and six RBIs. He has 12 RBIs over his last 12 games and Markakis is batting .356 (42-for-118) since the All-Star break.
* Omar Quintanilla gave the O's a 2-1 lead tonight with a two-run homer in the bottom of the second. It was his second O's homer after he hit one on July 29 against Oakland. Quintanilla now has five hits over his last 11 at-bats after going through a 1-for-17 stretch.
Radio tonight: I don't remind the readers around here about my radio show very often but I will host the Baltimore Baseball Tonight show tonight from 10 p.m. to midnight on 105.7 FM the Fan in Baltimore. Click here to listen live later and please call in to talk about the Orioles then at 410-583-1057.