Chris Tillman outpitched Felix Hernandez tonight to help the Orioles beat the Mariners 4-2 at Camden Yards. You would have gotten long odds of that happening back at 7 p.m. tonight.
After being traded by Seattle to the Orioles on Feb. 8, 2008, it had to feel good for Tillman and Adam Jones to beat their former team tonight.
Jones went 4-for-4 with a key two-run triple.
Here is more on Tillman's night:
* He rebounded from his previous start, when he gave up ten hits and eights runs over 3 2/3 against Kansas City to give up just three hits and one run over six innings.
* He had given up a batting average against on the year of .316 and tonight Seattle had just three hits in 20 at bats against him.
* He entered tonight with a batting average against when pitching with runners in scoring position of .448 and tonight the M's went 1-for-4 in those situations.
* The Orioles are now 4-3 when Tillman starts this year.
* Tillman has now given up three runs or less in four of his seven starts and one run or less in three starts, including two of his last three.
* Coming into this game, Tillman had given up 15 of his 22 earned runs on the year in the first two innings, but he pitched shutout ball in those frames versus Seattle.
* Tillman has now picked up a win in two of his last three starts after beating Chicago on April 30th.