The Orioles need a win this afternoon to avoid getting swept in a three-game series for the third time this year.
The first two times came against AL East opponents when they lost three straight at home vs. Tampa Bay on May 17-19 and three straight on the road vs. Toronto on June 21-23.
A few other O's-Yankees notes:
* Chris Davis has five homers in his last seven games, 11 in the last 19, and 13 in 23. He's hit 22 homers in his past 47 games. Davis has 33 RBIs over his last 23 games. In nine of those games, he knocked in more than one run.
* Nick Markakis has gone 11 games without an extra-base hit. Adam Jones does not have an extra-base hit over his last 15 games.
* The O's bullpen has pitched to an ERA of 1.07 over the last nine games, allowing three earned runs over 25 1/3 innings.
* The O's are now 23-23 on the road, 20-20 against the AL East and 17-9-3 in 29 series.
* Davis tied his career-high with his 33rd home run and 85th RBI on Saturday. According to STATS, Davis is also the only player in MLB history to have 25+ doubles, 30+ home runs and 85+ RBI prior to the All-Star Game. (The first All-Star Game was in 1933.)
* The Yankees have won a season-high six consecutive games, their longest winning streak since winning seven straight from Sept. 15-22, 2012. Today, they are looking to sweep their second straight series, which would be their first consecutive series sweeps since three in a row from June 8-17, 2010 against the Mets, Braves and Nationals.
* The Orioles are 16-17 in day games in 2013, including a 12-8 mark on the road.
* The Orioles went 6-3 last year at Yankee Stadium, winning all three series there. They are 1-4 there in 2013, losing both series in New York so far.