More than 36 hours after Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos was kidnapped at his home in Valencia, Venezuela, his family has still not heard from the men who took him, according to multiple reports out of the country.
The catcher's family spent the night praying for his safe return, encircled by a growing vigil of people outside the 24-year-old's home, according to reports. Marfa Mata, a friend of the Ramos family who is also a reporter and spokesperson in Venezuela, tweeted in English this morning, "Another long night waiting. Not a message or call about Wilson. Keep praying." And Ramos' sister, Milanyela, told a Venezuelan newspaper that "Wilson is alive and he'll be back soon."
At this point, hope seems to be the Ramos family's best strategy, as his whereabouts are still unknown. It's distinctly possible that the abductors have been in contact with Venezuelan authorities or Major League Baseball's Department of Investigations, who are both working on the case to ensure Ramos' safe return. A CNN report last night said the FBI could get involved in the case, even though Ramos is not a U.S. citizen.
In Washington, fans are planning to gather outside the center field gate at Nationals Park for a candlelight vigil at 6 p.m. Friday.
More information as we get it throughout the day. You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'll have additional updates.
Update: Venezuelan police issued a statement Friday afternoon saying that they believe Ramos is alive and denying a report that he had been found dead in Valencia. Authorities now have artist's sketches of the alleged kidnappers and Ultimas Noticias, a Venezuelan newspaper, reported Friday that a second SUV believed to have been used in Ramos' abduction has been located.