After clinching their first National League pennant in October, the Nationals had to wait six days before taking the field again for Game 1 of the World Series. Our break between re-watches of the NL Championship Series and World Series won't be that long, but we are going to take a couple of days off before diving back into the epic, seven-game showdown with the Astros.
In the meantime, here's the second installment of Nats Trivia. (If you missed the first one last week, on the history of opening day, you can test yourself out here.)
This trivia quiz is all about the Nationals' postseason history (the NL Division Series in 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017, then the full run in 2019). There are 20 questions in total, some more difficult than others. Answers are listed in order at the bottom, so be careful not to scroll too far if you don't want to see them before you've had a chance to answer all 20 questions.
NATIONALS POSTSEASON TRIVIA
1. What is the Nationals' all-time record in postseason games?
2. What is the Nationals' record in elimination games?
3. How many extra-inning postseason games have the Nationals played?
4. Name the 11 pitchers who have started a postseason game.
5. Name the 17 players who have homered in a postseason game.
6. How many postseason grand slams have the Nationals hit?
7. Who recorded the Nats' first postseason game-winning RBI?
8. Which member of the rotation produced the only quality start in the 2012 NLDS?
9. What pitcher gave up Jayson Werth's walk-off homer in Game 4 of the 2012 NLDS?
10. Who was the only Giants pitcher the Nats beat in the 2014 NLDS?
11. How many Nats postseason games have been rained out?
12. Who made the final out in the 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017 NLDS?
13. How many runs did Max Scherzer give up as a reliever in the fifth inning of Game 5 of the 2017 NLDS?
14. Who were the three baserunners who scored on Juan Soto's go-ahead hit in the 2019 wild card game?
15. What was the Nats' record when Scherzer or Stephen Strasburg appeared in a postseason game prior to 2019? What was their record in 2019?
16. How many starts did Patrick Corbin make in the 2019 postseason? How many relief appearances?
17. How many times has a Nats starting pitcher reached the ninth inning in a postseason game?
18. Who drove in the first run in Nats' World Series history?
19. Who are the four pitchers to record saves in the postseason?
20. Who are the four pitchers to be charged with a blown save in the postseason?
3. 2: 2014 NLDS Game 2 (18 innings), 2019 NLDS Game 5 (10 innings)
5. Ryan Zimmerman (5), Soto (5), Anthony Rendon (5), Bryce Harper (5), Michael A. Taylor (4), Jayson Werth (2), Adam LaRoche (2), Howie Kendrick (2), Adam Eaton (2), Trea Turner (1), Kurt Suzuki (1), Victor Robles (1), Daniel Murphy (1), Michael Morse (1), Jose Lobaton (1), Chris Heisey (1), AsdrÃºbal Cabrera (1)
6. 2: Michael A. Taylor (2017), Howie Kendrick (2019)
7. Tyler Moore
9. Lance Lynn
10. Madison Bumgarner
11. 2: 2016 NLDS Game 2, 2017 NLDS Game 4
12. Zimmerman, Wilson Ramos, Wilmer Difo, Bryce Harper
14. Taylor, Andrew Stevenson, Anthony Rendon
15. 1-6, 10-0
16. 3, 5
17. Twice: Zimmermann (2014 NLDS Game 2), Strasburg (2019 World Series Game 6)
20. Storen (2), Sammy SolÃs (1), Scherzer (1), Corbin (1)