Updating Pop’s surgery and revisiting last night’s postponement

NEW YORK - The Orioles announced today that minor league pitcher Zach Pop underwent successful surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.

Renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery after yesterday’s examination in Pensacola, Fla.

Pop, 22, had appeared in eight games with Double-A Bowie and allowed only one run and seven hits in 10 2/3 innings. He walked four batters and struck out 11.

The Orioles acquired Pop from the Dodgers as part of the five-player package for Manny Machado. He was placed on the injured list on May 1.

Pop made 14 appearances with the Orioles after the Machado trade and registered a 2.53 ERA and 0.938 WHIP in 21 1/3 innings with Bowie. He had a combined 1.53 ERA and 0.897 WHIP in 64 2/3 innings spread over three levels of the minors.

The procedure will sideline Pop for the rest of the season and impact his 2020 debut.

The tarp is on the field again at Yankee Stadium, with the grounds crew unrolling it shortly before 3 p.m. The forecast now calls for rain through the night at varying percentages.

Hess-Delivers-Gray-w-Beard-sidebar.jpgDavid Hess was supposed to start last night before the game was postponed due to unplayable field conditions and he hasn’t been told when he’s going to pitch again.

“I’ll stay ready for whatever they need of me and hopefully get back out there and give the team a good chance to win,” he said.

Hess was prepared to take the mound last night after the start time was moved to approximately 7:45 p.m., but he never got to it.

“I was pretty confused because I finished up and was walking in and I saw their guy (Luis Cessa) walking in as well and I got kind of confused,” he said. “I went in the tunnel and started getting stuff in line, kind of getting locked in even more. I didn’t hear the anthem or anything like that. I walked outside to see what was going on and Hyder (manager Brandon Hyde) was walking around the outfield kind of scouting it out with the umpires.

“I was ready to go but that’s part of the game. You’ve got to stay ready for whatever’s going to come.”

Hess still held out hope that the game would be played as the grounds crew tried to clear the water out of left field with the use of leaf blowers, brooms, a pitch fork and an aerator.

“I think really up until the very end when they finally made that decision, because I think there was another cell that was coming in later on in the evening and I think that was the big decision maker,” Hess said.

“Really from the 7:45 p.m. start time that was going to be up until they actually called it I was staying as ready as possible. I went down to the bullpen and I was ready to keep throwing a little bit more, but like I said that’s part of the game.”

Hess and pitching coach Doug Brocail finally came back into the dugout, followed later by bullpen coach John Wasdin and the relievers.

“I think that it was just obviously a really soggy night,” Hess said. “There was a lot of water and so I think when they dumped the tarp that just added a little more water to the field. The grounds crew did everything they could as far as I could tell to get the field ready and there was just too much water out there.”

For the Yankees
DJ LeMahieu 2B
Luke Voit 1B
Aaron Hicks CF
Gary Sánchez C
Gleyber Torres SS
Clint Frazier DH
Brett Gardner LF
Gio Urshela 3B
Cameron Maybin RF

J.A. Happ LHP

blog comments powered by Disqus