Mancini leaving Orioles to undergo medical procedure

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Orioles outfielder Trey Mancini has left the club to undergo a non-baseball medical procedure, raising the concerns of his teammates and staff and increasing the possibility that he won’t be on the opening day roster.

Manager Brandon Hyde shared the news with the media this afternoon. Details are scarce because the Orioles want to respect his privacy.

The procedure isn’t imminent and might not happen until next week. However, the Orioles break camp on March 23 and begin the regular season three days later against the Yankees at Camden Yards.

Mancini-Runs-Orange-ST-sidebar.jpgHyde said only that Mancini is going to “miss some time.”

Mancini will undergo further testing and the Orioles should be able to provide more information at a later date.

How Mancini’s situation influences the roster isn’t the focus. He’s emerged as one of the most popular players on the team, a leader and arguably the new face of the franchise.

“We love Trey,” Hyde said, “and we’re going to respect his privacy in this thing and we’ll have more information as we know more.”

Hyde was asked how Mancini, through their recent conversations, has been dealing with the situation.

“I think like anybody else would that’s going to go have further tests done,” Hyde replied. “All I can say, really, is we’re thinking about him and we’re going to respect his privacy in this whole thing.

“We hate to see Trey miss time but hope it’s not too long.”

Mancini has been limited to five spring games, the explanation centering on flu-like symptoms that have felled multiple teammates, and is 4-for-14 with two RBIs. He didn’t make the East Coast trip last week, but said his condition was nothing serious. He joked that the two visitors to his locker didn’t want the details.

Hyde removed Mancini from Monday’s game after only two at-bats and the outfielder hasn’t returned to the lineup. He’s been at the complex, but unable to play.

Mancini was named Most Valuable Oriole last season and slashed .291/.364/.535 with 38 doubles, two triples, 35 home runs and 97 RBIs in 154 games. He’s projected again to be the starting right fielder and backup to Chris Davis at first base.

As for today’s game, the Orioles stranded pinch-runner Mason Janvrin at second base after his stolen base in the ninth inning in a 1-0 loss to the Rays.

The Orioles are 8-6-2.

Bruce Zimmermann tossed three scoreless innings with three strikeouts and retired the last seven batters.

“I liked his changeup,” Hyde said. “Good fastball again. Thought he threw great. I thought he had better location of his pitches today, worked ahead of hitters, and I thought the changeup was really good today.”

Hyde joked that the traffic on I-75 was “awesome.”

“It was a scramble to get the jersey on and go out there,” he said.

“Took us an hour-plus longer than we thought.”

blog comments powered by Disqus