The American League Division Series shifted to New York after two games in Baltimore. Jim Johnson gave up the game-tying home run to pinch-hitter Raul Ibanez, who eventually won the game for the Yankees in extra innings with a walk-off homer, his second of the game.
The Yankees now lead the best-of-five series, two games to one. The two teams will meet again tonight, with first pitch scheduled for 7:37 p.m.
Here’s a roundup of what other media outlets are saying about Game 3 of the ALDS between the Orioles and Yankees.
* David Lennon of Newsday says while Alex Rodriguez has struggled in the postseason, Ibanez brings playoff success from his time in Philadelphia to the Bronx.
* Ian O’Conner of ESPN says Joe Girardi’s decision to pinch-hit for Rodriguez was one of his best moves as manger of the Yankees.
* Bill Madden of the New York Daily News says although Dan Duquette has made significant improvements to the Orioles, the team remains a work in progress.
* Dan Martin of the New York Post writes Mariano Rivera has been impressed with the Yankees bullpen this season.
* John Harper of the New York Daily News says Girardi finally made a decision based on his gut and not his binder full of statistics.
* Bill Pennington of the New York Times says a slumping Rodriguez will always be the center of attention.
* Kevin Davidoff of the New York Post says with his two blasts last night, Ibanez will now be known as an October legend in the Bronx.
* Matthew Leach of MLB.com says Rodriguez’s struggles are due to his age, not the month on the calender.
* Sam Gardner of FOXSports.com says after a dream season, the Orioles are suddenly collapsing.
* Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun says though the Orioles face an elimination game tonight, they know what is at stake.