The Ravens might have finalized their coaching staff today.
Although, at this rate, they could just decide to overhaul the entire group tomorrow.
The Ravens announced that they have hired Teryl Austin as their new secondary coach. Austin will replace Chuck Pagano, who was elevated to the defensive coordinator position last week.
“I have a long relationship with Teryl, going back to 1987 when I was a graduate assistant at Pitt, and he was one of our top players and team leaders,” head coach John Harbaugh said in a statement. “He’s an outstanding teacher and motivator who has been successful in both the NFL and at the college level. His intelligence and experience will add to our defensive mix.
“Knowing Teryl had other opportunities, we’re very happy that he decided to become a Raven. We think our players will both improve under his direction and enjoy playing for him. He has helped two teams - the Cardinals and the Seahawks - reach the Super Bowl. That’s a good addition to our staff.”
Austin has 20 years of coaching experience, including seven seasons as a defensive backs coach in the NFL with the Cardinals (2007-2009) and Seahawks (2003-2006).
He spent last season as the defensive coordinator at the University of Florida but was not retained after Urban Meyer resigned as the Gators’ head coach and Will Muschamp took over.
“The Baltimore defense has set a high standard, and it’s my job to uphold that standard and help the players be at their best,” Austin said. “I’m excited to enter a situation with great players who play in a great scheme, knowing they take a lot of pride in what they are doing.”
Here’s a recap of the changes to the Ravens’ coaching staff that have taken place in the last two weeks:
- Former defensive coordinator Greg Mattison left to take the same position at Michigan
- Pagano was promoted to the coordinator spot
- Offensive line coach John Matsko was fired, and Andy Moeller was promoted to be the new O-line coach
- Senior offensive assistant Al Saunders left to become the Raiders’ offensive coordinator
- Jim Zorn was fired as quarterbacks coach
- Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and offensive assistant Craig Ver Steeg will handle the QB coach’s duties
- Austin was hired as the new secondary coach.
There will be a quiz tomorrow. Study up.