Evans has been battling a lingering left ankle injury, and while he’s played in the Ravens’ two games thus far this season, his production and effectiveness have been severely affected by the injury. The speedy wideout rested the ankle this week, and considers himself a gametime decision for the game against St. Louis.
“We’ll just have to see,” Evans said. “Right now, we’ve got as much rest on it as we possibly can, so we’ll just have to see how it reacts and let the coaches make the decision.”
Evans said it’s not fair to assume that just because he didn’t practice this week, he won’t play on Sunday.
“No, not really,” he said. “It’s all about rest, and you see how it reacts. So, really, we’ve been trying a lot of different things, and the only thing we hadn’t tried was rest the whole time and see how it reacts. We’re trying that right now and then we’ll just make a decision on Sunday. ... Rest makes it feel better, so yeah, it does feel better.”
The Ravens will have to decide whether they would rather have Evans play Sunday at less than 100 percent and risk losing all the progress he made this week, or just sit him for the Rams game and hope he can bounce back healthy in the coming weeks.
An additional factor to consider is that Evans would be running around on an Astroturf surface at St. Louis’ Edward Jones Dome, which would be tougher on the ankle than playing a grass surface.
“The reality of it is, you’ve got to be able to rest, play and still recover,” Evans said. “So, you don’t want to play and then be back to square one, and trying to do that the whole year, because that’s counterproductive. So, you’ve got to take all that into account when you’re making that decision.”
While Evans has somewhat of a shot to play Sunday, the odds appear even less realistic for Grubbs, who is still recovering from toe injury.
Grubbs says he’s progressing, but given the fact he said on Wednesday that he couldn’t push off on the foot in question, it seems unlikely that he’ll be able to suit up Sunday.
“It’s still sore,” Grubbs said. “It’s still a day-to-day thing. Every morning, I hope I wake up feeling a little bit better, but I guess because of the size of the joint, it takes forever for the swelling to go out. Right now, I think that’s what’s causing most of my pain, just the inflammation.”
Asked about possibly missing the Rams game and coming back healthier next week, Grubbs said he will wait until Sunday to make that call.
“I can’t speak on that right now, because today I might not feel (ready), but tomorrow, I may,” Grubbs said. “Sunday, I may feel like playing. So, it just depends on how I feel at that time.”