The odds of an Orioles win may not be very great tonight. You have an O’s team that has been slumping at the plate facing one of the league’s best pitchers in C.J. Wilson of the Angels, who happens to be pitching very well in recent starts.
Some Wilson stats:
* Wilson is 8-4 with a 2.44 ERA that ranks second in the AL.
* He is 4-0 with a 1.31 ERA over his last six starts.
* Wilson has the best ERA in baseball since Sept. 1, 2011 at 2.08, just ahead of R.A. Dickey (2.19) and Stephen Strasburg (2.25).
* Wilson has tossed six straight quality starts and 12 on the year.
* He has allowed two earned runs or less in eight of his last nine road starts for a mark of 1.51 in that time.
Meanwhile, the Birds scored just five runs over the weekend against Washington and have scored two runs or less in seven of their last nine games. They have scored 17 runs with a team average of just .180 during those nine games.
As the game moves to the fourth inning tonight, the Orioles trail 1-0 and Wilson has retired the Orioles on just 31 pitches so far.