The Orioles are expected to announce the signings today of between 10 and 12 picks taken last week in the First-Year Player Draft.
The Orioles have begun contract negotiations with their second-round pick, University of Virginia right-handed pitcher Branden Kline, who I profiled in this story. They hope to begin talks with their top pick, LSU pitcher Kevin Gausman, by late this week.
The most recent picks to come to terms with the club are Lex Rutledge, a left-handed pitcher taken in Round 6 and Brady Wager a right-handed pitcher taken in Round 9.
Rutledge went 1-4 with a 6.81 ERA in 35 2/3 innings this year at Samford University, but has a fastball said to be in the mid- to high 90s and was rated as the draft’s 148th-best prospect by Baseball America.
Wager, from Grand Canyon University in Arizona, was 7-4 with a 3.75 ERA in 13 starts and 84 innings this year with 31 walks and 78 strikeouts.
Here are the picks that we have reported agreements with so far:
* Round 3 - High school SS Adrian Marin
* Round 6 - Samford LHP Lex Rutledge
* Round 8 - Michigan State OF Torsten Boss
* Round 9 - Grand Canyon University RHP Brady Wager
* Round 10 - Dallas Baptist SS Joel Hutter
* Round 19 - High school LHP Josh Hader
* Round 23 - Fresno State RHP Gene Escat
* Round 25 - Auburn IF Creede Simpson