There is no doubt that some Orioles fans may be a little nervous with Wei-Yin Chen on the mound tonight. The left-hander has been so good for most of this year for the O’s but has shown signs of wearing down in recent starts.
Chen is winless at 0-3 over his last six starts. In five September starts, he is 0-3 with a 5.90 ERA. Chen is now at 186 innings after throwing 164 2/3 last season in Japan.
Chen was able to pitch seven innings or more, eight times over his first 22 O’s starts, but has gone that far just once in the last nine starts. When an O’s pitcher goes seven or more this year the club is 37-2.
In four starts this year against the Rays, Chen has thrown well, going 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA and .229 batting average against.
The Orioles are facing Tampa righty Alex Cobb tonight. He is 10-9 with a 4.18 ERA. Cobb has allowed two earned runs or less in four of his last six starts, with a 3-1 record and 2.73 ERA in that time.
In his only start this year against the Orioles he took a no decision on Sept. 12 when he gave up seven hits and two runs over 4 2/3 and 87 pitches.
Here are a few more notes on the Orioles:
* O’s starters have put together four quality starts in the last five games with an ERA of 2.94 in that time. They have 11 quality starts over the last 18 games with an ERA of 3.34.
* The O’s bullpen has put together five straight scoreless games covering 11 1/3.
* Over his last four games, Chris Davis is 7-for-14 with five homers and 10 RBIs.
* The Orioles have won five games in a row against Tampa Bay, outscoring the Rays 20-6 in those games. The O’s are 6-1 in their last seven vs. Tampa and have allowed two runs or less in each of those seven games, giving up 10 total runs.
* The Rays have won 10 of their last 11 games, outscoring their opponents 75-28 and out-homering them 23-3 in that time. Their team ERA is 2.48 during the stretch.
* The Rays pitchers have allowed just 13 homers in their last 31 home games. The Orioles have hit 14 homers over their last four games.
As you watch tonight’s game feel free to post any comments and/or questions on the game or anything about the O’s in this blog.