After playing 13 seasons with the Orioles, Brian Roberts will be in Yankee pinstripes in 2014. Today, in his first interview since joining the Yankees, he made some comments sure to draw the ire of some O’s fans.
On a YES Network interview, Roberts was asked about the Yankees’ sales pitch to get him.
“As you know, I don’t think they need a whole lot of sales pitch most of the time,” Roberts said. “When you have the opportunity to play for such a storied franchise and an organization that is always going to give you a chance to win a World Series every year, it doesn’t take a whole lot.
“So, you know, as a kid I think so many of us probably dream of putting that uniform on at some point. I had an incredible opportunity to play so many years in one city, it was just time to move on, I think.
“I’ve never played to prove anyone wrong or make a big name for myself. I just want to play the game and have fun. My goal is to play in a World Series. I’ve had a lot of time to never play in a playoff game and that’s what I’m excited for.”
Roberts said he didn’t set out to stay in the American League East, but it certainly worked out that way.
“For this to come about the way it did, I certainly didn’t see this coming going into the offseason, but I’m excited for the opportunity,” he said.
Roberts was asked if he expects to play mostly at second base or possibly move around the infield some.
“I had a conversation with the organization about what our role is and what we’re looking at and it was something that appealed to me,” Roberts said. “I made it clear that my objective, if somebody wanted me to and felt I still could, was to play second base on a daily basis for the most part. That’s my goal, to be the second baseman the majority of the games.”
You can click here to watch that interview.
Meanwhile, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com filed several tweets tonight indicating that another O’s potential deal may have come up short due to a physical.
Here are three tweets from Crasnick about Tyler Colvin:
From the "not this again'' department: Source says #orioles are claiming there are issues with OF Tyler Colvin's physical.— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 22, 2014
#Orioles agreed to terms with Colvin last week pending a physical, sources said. Could this be Grant Balfour redux?— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 22, 2014
One source says Colvin has been hitting, throwing & working out 5 days a week in Arizona and hasn't had any problems. #orioles— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 22, 2014
Colvin did have some back issues in his past. On Jan. 15, the O’s reached an agreement with Colvin according to sources, on what was expected to be a major league contract, pending the physical. Now it appears we know how that is ending.
The 28-year-old Colvin batted .160/.192/.280 with three homers and 10 RBIs in 27 games last season. He batted .275/.377/.480 with eight doubles, six triples, nine homers and 32 RBIs in 67 games at Triple-A Colorado Springs.
In 2012, he appeared in 136 games with the Rockies and hit .290/.327/.531 with 27 doubles, 10 triples, 18 homers and 72 RBIs. However, he posted a 1.032 OPS at home and a .687 OPS on the road.