SARASOTA – The Orioles didn’t tender pitcher Albert Suárez a contract at the Nov. 21 arbitration deadline, the only eligible player of the group to be denied.

Ryan Mountcastle, Kyle Bradish, Yennier Cano, Gunnar Henderson, Dean Kremer, Trevor Rogers, Adley Rutschman, Taylor Ward, Keegan Akin and Tyler Wells were tendered, and injured closer Félix Bautista, who underwent shoulder surgery to repair his labrum and rotator cuff, agreed to terms on a $2.25 million contract.

And then, there was Suárez, one of the most valuable players on the 2024 team after returning to the majors for the first time since 2017 and posting a 3.70 ERA in 32 games, including 24 starts. However, he sustained a shoulder injury during his first appearance on March 28 in Toronto and didn’t return until rosters expanded in September. Suárez pitched in four games and was shut down with a mild forearm flexor strain.

Behind the scenes, the two sides maintained communication and finally came to agreement on a minor league contract. Suárez is a non-roster invite with a chance to re-live his finest hours in baseball.

“At the time that happened, they told me they want me back, and I want to be back,” he said. “Obviously, I checked other options, but I really wanted to be back, so I’m glad I’m here.”

Asked why, Suárez said, “First of all, it’s a great organization, and then they also gave me the chance back in ’23 when I was coming from Korea. They were the first one to sign me. And then I was like, I’m grateful. So I’m healthy.”

How healthy?

“Right now I’m 100 percent,” he said, “good to go.”

The “right now” qualifier can’t go unnoticed. They come from a pitcher who was shut down twice with separate injuries.

“It was a little bit (rough) because I wanted to be on the field and help the team and I couldn’t do that,” he said. “I did it for maybe a month. That’s it. So it was more mentally, I had to be patient last year to be able to get through that and then be ready as I am right now.”

The bullpen has room for Suárez if he can get back to the way he pitched in 2024.

“I’m confident that if I’m healthy, I can do a good job,” he said. “About a spot, I don’t know because I don’t control that, but I’m sure what I can do if I’m healthy, so that’s what I’m focused on right now.”

The Orioles have their replacement closer in Ryan Helsley and strengthened the bridge to him by trading for Andrew Kittredge. Akin is back, though he lost his arbitration hearing (and shaved his head, which was unrelated), and they signed left-hander Dietrich Enns to a $2.625 million contract with a club option. Wells probably goes back to a relief role unless there’s an injury in the rotation, and Yennier Cano is expected to also break camp with the team, as long as he doesn’t pitch his way to Triple-A.

That leaves room for more competitions.

“Bullpen is the most volatile spot in the big leagues,” said manager Craig Albernaz. “We have a lot of guys that we like that can fill that. So it’s just watching them and seeing where it goes and seeing where the pieces fit. But yeah, I really like our pitching and we definitely have some options in the ‘pen.”

*Outfielder Taylor Ward was acquired from the Angels for starter Grayson Rodriguez on Nov. 19, an early strike that was followed a month later by first baseman Pete Alonso’s signing to a $155 million contract.

Ward likes the look of the lineup with the returning players factored into it.

“I think it’s gonna be great. I really do,” he said.

“A lot of young guys that can improve, a lot of veteran guys who can hopefully improve, too. I just think it’s a good balance.

“I think it’s gonna be great. We just need to go out there and take it pitch-by-pitch, swing at good pitches and keep it simple. I think everything else will take care of itself.”

Alonso has played in 162 games in back-to-back seasons and Ward has appeared in 156 and 157. The Orioles added durability along with right-handed thump.

What’s the key to staying on the field?

“First, it’s learning yourself and the areas you need to focus on. I think that’s one of the biggest things,” Ward said.

“For me, there’s issues and I take care of them in the gym. I’ve found good programs, good exercises to help keep those areas strong and prevent injury. I just think everyone’s different, of course, and you never know what anyone else is dealing with and if it is fixable or whatnot and how difficult it will be, but for me, really just trying to identify those things and strengthen them.”

Ward played only left field his last three seasons with the Angels and assumes that’s his position with the Orioles.

“But I’m open to anything,” he said. “Anything the team needs, I’m there for it.”

*Albernaz said he won’t withhold his starters from exhibition games against division opponents.

It always seemed silly to me anyway. As if the other clubs don’t have scouts and video and many times a history with these pitchers.

“No, because pretty much all the AL East teams are here,” he said.

Also a good point.

“You want to be mindful of the buildups, and our guys have to get built up,” Albernez continued. “In a perfect world, if that lines up, yeah sure, but we don’t want to sacrifice the players’ buildups for the Yankees, Red Sox, Toronto and the Rays not seeing certain guys.”