Félix Bautista threw in the bullpen earlier today, returned to his locker, tossed his jersey in the laundry cart and blocked out some of the lighting around him.

The man didn’t shrink during his recovery from shoulder surgery. He’s still a presence in the clubhouse.

The Orioles are eager for him to be one on the mound, as well.

Bautista will begin his injury rehab assignment Sunday afternoon at Double-A Chesapeake, rest Monday and report to Triple-A Norfolk for a few more relief outings.

Pitching in games again is something that Bautista thinks about “all the time.”

“Every time I step out on the field, that’s a focus of mine, doing whatever I can to get back out there as quickly as possible and get back out there feeling as strong as I possibly can,” he said via interpreter Brandon Quinones.

Bautista became more encouraged about his recovery a few weeks ago after his first live batting practice session.

“That’s when it really hit me that, OK, we’re getting close,” he said. “I started to feel really excited and happy that I’d be able to return soon.”

Bautista might not be unleashing 101 mph fastballs. He might not immediately start dominating hitters again. Expectations will need to be managed. He knows it.

“I’m not really focused on the velocity right now,” said Bautista, an All-Star in 2023 and recipient of the American League’s top reliever award after registering a 1.48 ERA and 33 saves in 56 games and striking out 110 in 61 innings.

“My focus is on doing whatever I can to stay healthy, be healthy so that when I return I can stay healthy and being able to do what I can to contribute,” Bautista said. “I know that in due time the velocity will come back and it’s gonna take some, but that’s not a focus of mine right now. All I want to do is be healthy and make sure that once I come back, I can stay healthy.”

Bautista was rehabbing at the Ed Smith Stadium complex when the Orioles traded Adley Rutschman to the Red Sox. He missed the emotional departure and the stunned reactions of teammates.

“Obviously, I didn’t feel the impact as much because I wasn’t here, I was in Sarasota,” he said, “but I’m definitely gonna miss him a lot.”

*The Orioles made a bullpen move earlier today, recalling Anthony Nunez again and designating Albert Suárez for assignment a fourth time this season.

“It’s extremely tough with Suárez,” said manager Craig Albernaz. “I don’t know what number this is where I’ve had this conversation with him, but it’s never easier, especially the person he is, the teammate he is. It’s tough to find a better person and teammate in this game, and he’s so selfless out in the ‘pen and what we ask him to do as far as pitch length in the back end of games, either we’re up or down, and being able to go back out a day later or two days later.

“With the shape of the ‘pen we’re in, we had to make a move, and it’s good to get Nunez back. He was working on being more efficient down in Triple-A, and hopefully we get the best version of him.”

Nunez broke camp with the team and has been optioned twice, compiling a 4.60 ERA in 40 appearances. He has a 5.25 ERA and 1.500 WHIP in 10 games with Norfolk, walking six and striking out 18 in 12 innings.

“I’m just really excited to get back out here and continue to improve on the things I’ve been improving on and help the team win,” he said.

Those improvements include fastball command, usage, attacking hitters, not falling behind in counts and wasting pitches.

“Chris Bassitt told me this is a league that you’re forever adjusting,” Nunez said. “And it’s having to make adjustments quicker than I did.”

*Closer Ryan Helsley remains with the team, visiting former teammate Tyler Wells on the field earlier this afternoon, but he isn’t ready to start throwing bullpen sessions or going out on a rehab assignment.

Helsley hasn’t pitched since June 27. He made a second trip to the injured list with right elbow inflammation.

Asked whether Helsley be active in September, Albernaz replied, “You know, right now it’s just taking it day-by-day with Hels, see how he’s feeling. I know he’s throwing, he’s on top of his body, he’s doing what he can and what he’s capable of right now and following with our medical staff. They’ve been doing a great job with him.

“You know, when Helsley’s back, he’s back.”

*Infielder Jorge Mateo is back at Camden Yards with the Rays after the Braves released him on Aug. 9.

Mateo is 2-for-9 with Tampa Bay, and he homered against the Orioles at Tropicana Field. He’s starting at second base tonight.

“Oh man, it means a lot,” Mateo said of his return to Baltimore. “I played here for five years. It’s a lot of things going on here in my career and I’m so excited to come back.”

Mateo went from one first-place team to another. Who’s the best?

“This is better now,” he said, laughing. “That’s the place I am right now and I feel comfortable here. So all the support here, I feel outstanding here, too.”

For the Rays
Yandy Díaz DH
Jonny DeLuca CF
Junior Caminero 3B
Ryan Vilade RF
Chandler Simpson LF
Jorge Mateo 2B
Kenny Piper C
Liam Hicks 1B
Taylor Walls SS

Freddy Peralta RHP