Orioles reportedly reach agreement with Jurrjens
-
-
January 24, 2013 10:52 pm
-
0 Comments
The Orioles have reached agreement on a one-year deal with former Atlanta Braves pitcher Jair Jurrjens, according to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman.
Executive vice president Dan Duquette couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
Jurrjens, 26, will receive a guaranteed $1.5 million, and he can earn an additional $2.5 million in incentives, according to Heyman.
I’m told that Duquette had been discussing a minor league deal with Jurrjens’ agent. The right-hander is represented by the Boras…The Orioles have reached agreement on a one-year deal with former Atlanta Braves pitcher Jair Jurrjens, according to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman.
Executive vice president Dan Duquette couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
Jurrjens, 26, will receive a guaranteed $1.5 million, and he can earn an additional $2.5 million in incentives, according to Heyman.
I’m told that Duquette had been discussing a minor league deal with Jurrjens’ agent. The right-hander is represented by the Boras Corporation.
The Braves non-tendered Jurrjens after he went 3-4 with a 6.89 ERA in 11 games, with 18 walks and 19 strikeouts in 48 1/3 innings, and earned a demotion to Triple-A. He also went on the disabled list with a groin injury.
Jurrjens made the All-Star team in 2011 and was 13-6 with a 2.96 ERA and two complete games in 23 starts, but he also was hampered by a knee injury in the second half. Jurrjens threw his first career shutout against the Orioles on July 1, allowing one hit and one walk.
Jurrjens made $5.5 million in 2012. He’s 53-37 with a 3.62 ERA in parts of six seasons, and he’s two years away from free agency.
The Orioles were interested in Jurrjens last winter and his name surfaced in trade talks involving center fielder Adam Jones.
Duquette has been searching for another starter. Jurrjens qualifies as a low-risk, high-reward acquisition who didn’t cost the Orioles much money or another player. Health issues and diminished velocity on his fastball have caused teams to shy away from him.
Right now, it’s not known whether Jurrjens’ signing ends Duquette’s pursuit of left-hander Joe Saunders.
0 Comments
Related Articles
Orioles belt three homers, Henderson has four hits, bullpen atones for yesterday’s meltdown in 7-3 win (updated)
WASHINGTON – The Nationals sprung an opener on the Orioles today, sending left-hander Richard Lovelady to the mound…
Read More
Orioles recall Foster to refresh bullpen (O’s lineup added)
WASHINGTON – The Orioles tweaked their troubled bullpen this morning by recalling right-hander Cameron Foster from Triple-A Norfolk…
Read More
More bullpen banter, Albernaz on having Eflin around team and some mailbag questions
WASHINGTON – The Orioles tied their season worst yesterday by falling six games below .500. The stay in…
Read More