The Orioles today announced that they have opened the 2019-20 international signing period with 27 agreements. The club has signed 16 players from the Dominican Republic, eight from Venezuela and one each from Aruba, the Bahamas and Colombia.
The club agreed with 15 pitchers (five left-handers and 10 right-handers) along with six shortstops, four outfielders and two catchers.
According to a club press release, the class is led by outfielder Luis González, left-handed pitcher Luis Ortiz and shortstop Leonel Sánchez.
MLB.com reported the bonus for González was $450,000 and that it was $400,000 for Ortiz.
González, born on Nov. 2, 2002, is a large-framed outfielder from the Dominican Republic with great power potential from the left side of the plate. He has a good feel for barreling up balls and could develop into an impact bat. He is a well-rounded athlete who can play all three outfield positions.
Ortiz, born on Sept. 17, 2002, is a strong left-handed pitcher from the Dominican Republic. Ortiz already has command over three pitches and a fastball that exceeds 90 miles per hour. His curveball has a sharp break and projects as his out pitch. His pitching arsenal also includes a changeup that he delivers with consistent arm speed that helps keep hitters off balance. His pitching delivery is loose, with easy arm action, and a good downhill plane. He is known for throwing strikes and likes to challenge hitters.
The Orioles say Sánchez, born on Dec. 4, 2002, is a right-handed hitting shortstop from the Dominican Republic. The athletic middle infielder has shown solid arm strength, and his smooth footwork allows him to get into good fielding positions. He has gap-to-gap power, and the ball jumps off of his bat.
“This July 2 is a big day for our franchise,” said Mike Elias, Orioles executive vice president and general manager. “These young players from all parts of Latin America will bolster our burgeoning farm system and jumpstart the continual flow of talent we are building.
“Today is only the beginning of our efforts, as we will continue to sign more players throughout the 2019-20 signing period. Our International scouting staff has already begun laying the groundwork for future classes.”
The Orioles signed 24 players that are currently 16. They signed one that is 17 and two that are 18 years old as of today.
“We are excited about the round of talent we were able to bring in with this first group of signings,” said Koby Perez, Orioles Senior Director, International Scouting. “Everyone in the organization hit the ground running after our department was put together, and it’s a testament to their hard work that we were able to sign the quality group of players joining us today. We look forward to continuing to grow the relationships we’ve established in the Dominican Republic and other countries for years to come.”
Updated: According to an industry source, these are the four largest bonuses the Orioles and players agreed to today:
$475,000 - Luis González
$400,000 - Leonel Sánchez
$400,000 - Luis Ortiz
$225,000 - Moisés Chace
The list of signees:
* OF Luis González, L/L, date of birth: 11/02/2002 - Dominican Republic
* SS Leonel Sánchez, R/R, 12/4/2002 - Dominican Republic
* LHP Luis Ortiz, L/L, 9/17/2002 - Dominican Republic
* OF Dax Stubbs, R/R, 5/21/2003 - Bahamas
* RHP Moisés Chace, R/R, 6/9/2003 - Venezuela
* SS Robert Martínez, R/R, 1/16/2003 - Dominican Republic
* LHP Moisés Salas, L/L, 10/28/2002 - Venezuela
* SS César Aguasvivas, R/R, 9/9/2002 - Dominican Republic
* RHP Raúl Rangel, R/R, 10/9/2002 - Venezuela
* OF Luis De La Cruz, L/L, 10/15/2002 - Dominican Republic
* RHP Charbel Abboud, R/R, 10/13/2002 - Venezuela
* RHP Harol Arias, R/R, 11/7/2002 - Venezuela
* RHP Erick Caines, R/R, 9/21/2002 - Dominican Republic
* C Ricardo Rivera, L/R, 9/29/2002 - Colombia
* OF Jesús Alvarado, L/L, 1/16/2003 - Venezuela
* RHP Francisco Crispín, R/R, 12/9/2002 - Dominican Republic
* RHP César Álvarez, R/R, 9/11/2002 - Venezuela
* C Kenny Báez, R/R, 9/26/2002 - Dominican Republic
* SS Rolphy Cruz, S/R, 9/21/2002 - Dominican Republic
* LHP José Ramírez, L/L, 5/23/2003 - Venezuela
* RHP Edgar Portes, R/R, 10/2/2002 - Dominican Republic
* LHP Johán Berroa, L/L, 8/27/2000 - Dominican Republic
* RHP Randy Berigüete, R/R, 11/2/2002 - Dominican Republic
* SS Anderson Rogers, S/R, 10/24/2002 - Dominican Republic
* LHP Adrion Lacle, L/L, 11/6/2002 - Aruba
* SS Erinson Placencia, R/R, 12/31/2001 - Dominican Republic
* RHP Alejandro Méndez, R/R, 2/28/2001 - Dominican Republic